Dubuque’s historic Grand Opera House is the oldest and most “grand” of more than 16 legitimate theaters which served the community prior to 1900. In 1889 W.L. Bradley, Jr. and other local businessmen invested $100,000 to create this iconic landmark of Dubuque culture. The building hosted its first performance in 1890, and for the next 28 years, hosted a Who's Who of show business, including Al Jolson, Jack Benny, George M. Cohan, Will Rogers and John Phillip Sousa. Between 1890 and 1928 the Grand hosted more than 2,600 live performances. From 1928 to 1985 the building became a full-time movie house. In 1986 it began hosting live performances again. In 2001, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Transcendent Paranormal Society traveled to Vinton, Iowa, on April 23-24, 2021, to investigate three locations in two nights. The first location we investigated was the Vinton Train Depot, which was built in 1900 and in its heyday was a heavily used depot. Today, it's a museum and much of the interior is as it was when operational.
The Horridge House was built in 1859 and is an excellent example of Carpenter Gothic-style architecture. It was built by Dr. Hewett B. Clingan. The brick of the house is believed to be of the local brickyards of that era.
Transcendent Paranormal Society traveled to Vinton, Iowa, on April 23-24, 2021, to investigate three locations in two nights. The third location we investigated was the Frank Ray House, a three-story Queen Anne mansion built by Frank G. Ray in 1894.
TPS traveled back to Vinton, Iowa to hold a public investigation of the Vinton Train Depot and Horridge House as a fundraiser for the Benton County Historical Society who manages both locations.
The Granger House was built around 1860 by Charles Myers. In 1876 Earl Granger bought the house and moved his family in and remained in the family for almost 100 years. Today the house serves as a museum with many of the Granger's original furnishings.